Monday, September 26, 2011

Thailand: Chiang Mai

After a temple-packed day in Bangkok, we hopped on a Bangkok Airways flight to Northern Thailand to the city of Chiang Mai.  Bangkok Airways is a great way to fly around the country.  The tickets were only $60 and they even give you a meal on the flight.  I was a little disappointed with the food in Bangkok, but I knew we'd get a taste of some real Thai food soon.  

When we arrived to Chiang Mai our tour guide took us to an amazing little restaurant called Kao Kab Kang.  While nothing special to look at, the food was wonderful.  

I was impressed with each dish and my palette finally got a taste of real Thai cooking.  

We started with an appetizer of Ka Tong Thong:  chicken in little corn cups.  
 Then we had a dish with pumpkin and coconut milk and the perfect amount of spice.  

There pumpkin isn't like our pumpkin; it is actually green.  

I loved the fish and the pork dish was also tasty.  All of the dishes were served with rice that came to our table shaped like a teddy bear.  So cute!  

We ended the meal with coconut ice cream.  I’d highly recommend this place.  

You really can’t go wrong with the food in Chiang Mai.  I learned that I’m a huge fan of Northern Thai cuisine which you can’t find much of in America.  The good news is that I got to take a cooking class so I can make all of this wonderful food for my family and friends.  More about Chiang Mai, Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, and Siem Reap coming soon...

Kao Kab Kang Thai Food Restaurant 

164/110, Chang Klan Road, Chang Klan, Mueang Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai, 50100, Thailand

No comments: