Thursday, June 21, 2018

Just a Few of My Favorite Things: Hot Sauce


I am obsessed with all things spicy, but I am frequently unimpressed with everything I buy that markets themselves as "hot." Either it’s too mild, hot but flavorless, not appetizing, or filled with strange ingredients. However, last week I got to sample Poor Devil Pepper Co.’s Hot Sauce to get ready for the Summer Fancy Food Show in New York City, North America’s largest specialty food and beverage event that displays a wide variety of innovative and new products, and I fell in love. 


Without even looking into the brand, I opened up the bottles to smell each one. I figured none of them would be too impressive to me (the spice queen), but boy was I wrong. Each sauce was packed with different smells; the different aromas were strong, unique, and enticing! I needed to try each one immediately. We ordered pizza in and I made a sauce plate of all four of their sauces: Green Gypsy, Kali Curry, Mountain Mama, and Smoke Shifter. Each one had a different flavor profile, completely different spices, and interesting blends to create unique sauces I wanted to keep using. My favorite hot sauce was the Mountain Mama, which is created with hot peppers, root vegetables, and lemon pepper. I have been taking the bottle to lunch every day since then to add a kick to all of my lunches.


You know what the craziest part about it all is? All of their hot sauces are organic, fermented, vegan and raw. YES. You heard me! These hot sauces are good for you and sustainable for the environment! Because the hot sauce is fermented, there is no vinegar, no additives and it is not pasteurized. It is a fresh, fermented, raw, probiotic sauce, and the company sources all of their ingredients from local, sustainable, organic growers. 




The hot sauce company started in 2014 by Jared Schwartz & Laura Webster, and since then they have been growing—distributing to Farms2Tables, Albert’s Organic, and Regional Access, and also selling their incredible (and hot!) products online. 



Why do I love hot sauce? It adds flavor and heat to any dish! The problem with hot sauces is that there are so many, and it’s so easy to get lost in the sauce. Thankfully, I’ve torched the haystack and found the needle for all of us. Order online today here! 




THE SAUCES: 



Green Gypsy 

A jalapeno hot sauce unlike any you'll ever have. The organic blend of jalapenos, garlic, lime & cumin creates a flavor bursting and addictive sauce that will remind you not to sleep on the heat of green hot peppers. 
[jalapenos, garlic, cumin, lime] 

Kali Curry 

Named after the Hindu goddess Kali, who represents "Time & Change," as well as her earliest incarnation "Destruction & Annihilation". 
[mixed red hot peppers, curry, ginger, onion, turmeric] 

Mountain Mama 

A fall harvest's bounty in a bottle. This flavor powerhouse combines an array hot peppers, root vegetables & lemon pepper. 
[mixed red peppers, beets, carrots, ginger, garlic, onion] 

Smoke Shifter 

Shifter is a sweet and spicy mix of flavors. 
[mixed red peppers, cinnamon, all spice, thyme, brown sugar]

For more info, go to: Poor Devil Pepper Co.


No comments: