Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Recipe: Popovers


David Burke had me popping over for his popovers at the International Trump Hotel! When the chef came out with these “huge” rolls, the aroma overtook me, and I felt as though I was back at home helping my mother bake fresh breads and pastries for a big family dinner. I promptly looked at the chef, eyes-wide and belly empty, and uttered “did you ask my mom what I liked before coming here?!” as I quickly grabbed for one of the fresh baked loaves.

I tore open the crunchy, hollow popover and was overcome with delight; smelling the nostalgic aroma as steam escaped the soft, eggy interior. I savored each bite, and once finished I noticed that the chefs left us with another treat—the recipe. The meal had barely begun and I was already ready to go home and try making these myself. BLT Prime’s signature popovers are definitely the next best thing at your dinner party or family gathering. If you don’t end up making them yourself, make sure to order seconds (or thirds...or fourths...) at dinner. 



BLT Prime’s Popover Recipe 

Makes 12 Popovers

INGREDIENTS:
4 Cups Milk, Warmed
8 Eggs
4 Cups Flour
1 ½ Heaping Tbsp. Salt
2 ½ Cups Grated Gruyere Cheese
Popover Pan (*You can use a muffin tin if you don't have a popover pan.)

PREPARATION:

Place the popover pan in the oven. Heat the oven and pan to 350.

Gently warm the milk over low heat and set aside. Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk in the milk (so as not to cook the eggs). Set the mixture aside. Sift the flower with the salt. Slowly add this dry mixture and gently combine until mostly smooth. Once combined, remove the popover pan from the oven and spray with non-stick vegetable spray. While the batter is still slightly warm or room temperature (definitely not cool), fill each popover cup with approximately 2 ½ tbsp. of the grated gruyere. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes, rotating pan half a turn after 15 minutes of baking. Remove from the oven, remove from the pan, and serve immediately.

...and ENJOY! I know I certainly did. I can’t wait to show (and wow) my family. 


Share your #BLTPopovers on social media and don’t forget to follow them! 




For reservations, menus and more go to their website here


BLT Prime by David Burke 

Located in Trump International Hotel

1100 Pennsylvania Avenue N.W.

Washington, D.C.


No comments: