Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Recipe: Vegetarian Sunday Dishes with Seasonal Roots


One of my favorite things to do after work is pick up my delivery box full of fresh produce and think up delicious recipes to make for the weekend. Every Sunday, my closest girlfriends come over to my condo to decompress, drink wine, and watch bad TV together. Someone brings the bottle of wine (or more realistically, bottles*), someone is always picking up flowers, and I always request a block or two of cheese and a shareable dessert, but I cook up the dishes to snack on throughout the night.

Seasonal Roots has made this tradition so much more fun. Each week I am greeted with a box full of fresh ingredients – ranging from giant bok choy, juicy strawberries, earthy beets, crunchy carrots, fresh scallions, leafy chard, handfuls of cilantro, colorful grape tomatoes, and so many other fresh, seasonal, sustainable, LOCAL fruits and veggies! 

In my box last week, I also received a dozen beautiful farm-fresh eggs. What-what! I had to use them. Anytime I see a box of eggs and a bunch of produce the first thing that comes to mind is: Quiche.Quiches are super easy to make, so I decided a delicious bok choy, scallion and mushroom quiche would be the perfect first dish. 

Bok Choy, Scallion & Mushroom Quiche

Ingredients 
1 Uncooked 10 inch pie crust 
1 lb bok choy, chopped into ½ inch dice 
3 scallions, chopped 
2 cups chopped mushrooms 
1 T freshly grated ginger 
5 large eggs 
2 c whipping cream 
¼ lb swiss or cheddar cheese 
¼ lb mozzarella cheese 
½ tsp cayenne pepper 
½ tsp salt 
½ tsp black pepper 
1 T butter 

Instructions

Saute the bok choy, scallions, and mushrooms in butter until softened (about 10 minutes). Add the ginger, salt and pepper. 

Whip eggs with cream and cayenne. 

Cover bottom of pie crust with the cheeses. Spoon in the bok choy mix, then pour the egg – cream mix over. Bake in a 350 degree oven until custard sets (about 45 minutes). 

I also saw beets in my box – and I loooove beets! I thought a beet hummus would be a perfect addition to our snack session. 

Beet Hummus

Ingredients 
1 small roasted beet 
1 15-oz. can cooked chickpeas, drained 
1 large lemon (zested) 
1/2 large lemon (juiced) 
1 pinch salt and black pepper 
2 large cloves garlic (minced) 
2 heaping Tbsp tahini 
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 

Instructions 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, remove the stem and most of the root from your beets, and scrub and wash them underwater until clean. 

Wrap beet in foil, drizzle on a bit of olive or avocado oil, wrap tightly, and roast for one hour or until a knife inserted falls out without resistance. They should be tender. Set in the fridge (in a bowl to catch juice) to cool to room temperature. 

Once your beet is cooled and peeled, quarter it and place it in your food processor. Blend until only small bits remain. 

Add remaining ingredients except for olive oil and blend until smooth. 

Drizzle in olive oil as the hummus is mixing. 

Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt, lemon juice, or olive oil if needed. If it’s too thick, add a bit of water. 

And that’s it!! So beautiful and yummy :) 


My box also had fresh strawberries! Which meant I had to make chocolate covered strawberries for the girls! It went so well with our dry prosecco. I am always experimenting in the kitchen. Seasonal Roots helps me have the best ingredients to work with. Seasonal Roots is a very unique farmers market – and I love that it comes #dirttodoorstep! 

Seasonal Roots online farmers market began connecting Virginia families to local farmers in 2011 to help us all eat better and live better – and now they are delivering in the Chevy Chase, Bethesda, North Bethesda, Rockville, Potomac, and Silver Spring areas! Check them out and start having some fun in the kitchen with fresh and sustainable fruits and veggies that are grown right around the corner. For more information, go to: Seasonal Roots


No comments: