|Photo by Emily Clack|
The actual Thai New Year runs from April 13-15, but in conjunction with the Royal Thai Embassy, Asia Nine is celebrating a full Thai New Year Restaurant Week.
Partner Nuthinepan Tantivejakul (Natalie) said one of the primary elements of Thai New Year’s celebration was traditionally a time to visit and pay respect to elders, family, friends and neighbors. It was a low key, gentle celebration, of which the key element is a water blessing. Modern times – undoubtedly combined with it being the hottest time of the year in Thailand – have led to an evolutionof that tradition, into something more raucous and fun-spirited, particularly among young people whothrow water at each other and even at unsuspecting passersby, all in the spirit of celebration.
The first course is a Petite Pomelo Salad with Dried Shrimp Chili Lime Dressing. The remaining menu selections are:
2nd Course (Select One)
- Nuevo Thai Coconut Hummus Cooked Shrimp and Lentil Puree with Curried Coconut Cream served with Crunchy Rice
- Spicy Aubergine Salad Grilled Thai Aubergine layered with Grilled Tomato, Hard-Cooked Egg, Red Onion and Fresh Basil with Crackers & Crisp Fried Shallots a drizzle of Spicy Roasted Chili Sauce and Balsamic Vinaigrette
3rd Course (Select One)
- Grilled Seafood Curried Tamale Array of Seafood Cooked with Thai Red Curry, Fish Pate, Kaffir Lime, Fresh Basil, Pandan Leaves & Napa Cabbage, wrapped in Corn Husks and Thai Banana Leaves, Steamed in a Bamboo Steamer & Grilled with a side of Steamed Jasmine Rice
- Thai Firefly Short Ribs Braised with Aromatic Thai Herbs & Spicy Roasted Chili Sauce; served with Drunken Egg Tagliatelle tossed with Jalapeno Pesto & Parmesan Cheese
4th Course (Select One)
- Thai Coconut Custard Pie A la Mode with a scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream and Dark Chocolate Shavings
- Black Sticky Rice Pudding Sweet Rice Pudding, Taro Root, Jasmine Syrup and Coconut Pandan Crème
Located at 915 E Street, NW, Asia Nine serves lunch, dinner, late-night and brunch and provides take out, delivery and valet parking. For reservations, call (202) 629-4355 or go to www.asianine.com.