Using the classic Brown Derby - a true American cocktail - as his inspiration, Adam Bernbach created Basil Hayden’s Swing Vote, a refreshing and contemporary drink that features sweet honey and dry grapefruit notes to highlight the trademark spicy finish of Basil Hayden’s Bourbon. With the addition of Madeira, this cocktail is a one-of-a-kind addition to enjoy while watching the results roll in. In fact, Madeira was a favorite of Thomas Jefferson himself! No matter which party you vote for this November 4th, Basil Hayden’s Swing Vote makes the perfect celebratory (or consoling) cocktail.
Basil Hayden’s Swing Vote
1 ½ parts Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon
¾ parts Madeira
¾ parts Honey Syrup*
½ part Lemon Juice
1 dash Grapefruit Bitters
Grapefruit Wheel Mint Sprig
1. Add all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake.
2. Strain into a Double Old Fashioned glass with ice.
3. Garnish with a mint sprig and a grapefruit quarter wheel.
1 cup Honey
1 cup Water
1. In a small saucepan, heat the honey and water.
2. Stir until fully incorporated, then let cool and refrigerate.