Monday, December 29, 2008

Spotlight: Patricia Sanitate

Hopefully you got a chance to check out the Rustic Roman Afternoon episode this month.

A Rustic Roman Afternoon: Join Lauren and Chef Patricia Sanitate from A Capital Cuisine for delicious recipes of a typical weekday Roman meal including, Involtini alla Romana, Gnocchi al Forno, Insalata fine estate and Raspberry Tarts.

Get a closer look at our guest Patricia Sanitate. She says...

I started cooking at the age of nine after my Mom passed away. My Dad was very "old world" and preferred everything from scratched. He taught me a lot in the kitchen, but I come from a long line of excellent home cooks in Italy.

How would you describe DC Cuisine?
It is very eclectic. Virtually every country of the world is represented in this city, and they are all wonderful and exciting.

How did you get into the Personal Chef business?
After moving to the states from our many years in Europe, I noticed that everyone was always in a hurry, so I decided that perhaps bringing a little slow home cooking into people's lives. By the time they got home from work, all the work was done, and they could enjoy a leisurely meal.

What is the difference between semolina gnocchi and potato gnocchi?
Semolina gnocchi are easier to make during the week, because you save some steps by not having to boil the potatoes and puree them. A bit less work, but a wonderful bold taste.

How long have you been in DC, and how did you get here?
Besides spending my summers in Italy with my family, as a child, my husband and I lived in Europe for the first part of our married life, before transferring here to DC for my husbands work. We have been here 15 years and we love it.

Who are my culinary inspirations?
My parents were my first teachers, but I have learned by trial and error along the way. I like to keep things simple, and tasteful and I try to experiment with many recipes from all types of cookbooks.

Thank you Patricia for being part of the Capital Cooking Show!

Photo from A Capital Cuisine website.

No comments: