Here’s how it works: Place your order by November 19 from the team Dining in DC Unites Food Bloggers for a Cause (created by Dining in DC). Then on Tuesday, November 24th, you can pick up your pie from the location of your choosing.
SLICE OF LIFE is the only DC area pie sale allowing you to purchase your Thanksgiving pies while making an impact in the lives of thousands in need in your community. All proceeds from sales go to Food & Friends.
Food & Friends’ mission is to prepare and deliver specialized meals and groceries in conjunction with nutrition counseling to DC Area residents living with HIV/AIDS, cancer, and other life-challenging illnesses. In 2008, over 913,036 meals were served.
This large-scale bake sale is in its third year and not only allows you to purchase pies for you and your family, but also to complement the full Thanksgiving meals our clients will receive by purchasing a pie, or two, to be delivered with their holiday meal.
You have the choice of five delicious flavors:
- Picture Perfect Pumpkin Pie $25 – Thanksgiving would not be complete without this traditional favorite. The creamy pumpkin filling, in a delectable crust, has the perfect mix of spices and great pumpkin flavor. You’ll certainly want to more than one for your family and friends.
- Harvest Apple Crumb Pie $25 – Perfectly flaky with just the right amount of sweetness, you’ll enjoy this classic pie filled with a bushel of apples, spices and topped with sweet crumbles. Whether you serve your pie alone or a la mode, it’s a must have.
- Oh So Sweet Potato Pie $25 – For many, Thanksgiving means Sweet Potato Pie. This southern specialty, filled with creamy bright orange sweet potatoes, cinnamon and nutmeg is sure to warm the hearts of your holiday guests.
- Southern Pecan Pie $35 – Embrace true hospitality by sharing this Southern treat with your holiday guests. Ya’ll will love this delicious buttery crust, loads of pecans and sweet gooey filling.
- Creamy Chocolate Cheesecake $35 – A chocolate lover’s delight! Your guests will go crazy over this rich, creamy cheesecake topped with a decadent dark chocolate ganache.
All pies are 10″ rounds and shrink-wrapped to ensure that you receive the freshest, most delicious product possible. Each pie is placed in a sturdy, gift-quality box, making it a perfect hostess gift or token of appreciation. Upon receipt, you will want to immediately refrigerate your pies.
Picking Up Your Pie: Upon purchasing your pie, you will be asked to select a Pie Pick-Up Location. Pies are available to be picked-up on Tuesday, November 24th from 10am to 8pm. Thanks to the generosity of CVS Caremark, there are 15 convenient distribution sites throughout the metropolitan area. Food & Friends volunteers will be stationed at each site to help make sure your pick-up is as quick and easy as possible. Please note: Your pies are ONLY available for pick-up at the location you select when you place your order.
** Since Food & Friends is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, contributions are considered tax-deductible. The fair market value for the purchase of a pie is $7.00. The remainder of your purchase, and the purchase of any pies for clients is fully tax-deductible. All contributors to Slice of Life will receive tax documentation from Food & Friends after the conclusion of this event. Thank you!