This summer is slipping away. The weather hasn't totally cooperated, but there’s still time to enjoy some outdoor cocktails. I’m excited to tell you about some of my favorite spots and share a cocktail recipe with you to make at home.
For me, the key to a great summer cocktail is the refreshing factor. I don’t like something overly sweet, but I also don’t want it too bitter. It needs to be just right to make it easy to sip in the heat.
One of my favorites is the La Paloma from Vinoteca. I like it because of the Grapefruit. It has the perfect amount of that refreshing factor I was telling you about. Vinoteca is an amazing summer spot because not only can you suck down the cocktails, but you can also get a little bocce in. Nothing like some friendly competition among friends.
The other top ingredient in a summer drink is fresh herbs. I’m particularly a fan of Masa 14’s Mojitos. I think they make the best in town. The fresh mint really hits the spot for summer. Masa has a fabulous roof top and that is actually where we had the 4Bitten Media Launch Party.
1.5 oz Sauza silver tequila
3oz house made Grapefruit soda
pinch of salt
In a collins glass with ice, pour the tequila, add the grapefruit soda. Add a pinch of salt, garnish with a lime wedge. Cheers.
For the grapefruit soda, in a container add 2 parts fresh grapefruit juice, 1 part water, a touch of lime juice and simple syrup and put into a soda maker such a soda siphon.
Muddle, pack ice and shake.
· 3 lime wedges
· 5 mint leaves
· 1.5 oz Rhum Clement
· 1 oz simple syrup
Top with soda.
Note: When this drink settles after shaking, it should be nearly clear. Not deeply cloudy. Additionally, do not over-muddle the mint.
Outdoor drink spots:
- Vinoteca: Nothing better than sipping on spring cocktails and playing some bocce ball.
- Masa 14: Their rooftop rocks. Take advantage of it and grab one of their amazing mojitos!
- The Brixton: Check out their large rooftop
- Johnny's Half Shell: Suck down a cocktail during happy hour and relax outside in their extra large patio.
- DNV: Situated on the rooftop of Donovan House, DNV has amazing views and specialty cocktails.
- POV: Fun drink scene and great views of the White House.
- Jack Rose: Try out their amazing selection of whiskey and nice roof.