4lbs oxtails, cut into 3”pieces
3tbsp olive oil
1 c red wine
10c. chicken stock
1/2c. onions, small dice
2c. turnips, peeled & cut into 1” cubes
2c. carrot, peeled & cut into 1” pieces
2c. celery, cut into 1” pieces
1 bay leaf
4tbsp red wine
FIRST YOU WANT TO MAKE A STRONG BROTH:
1. Pat dry the oxtails, season with salt & pepper.
2 .In a large heavy bottomed pot coated with oil, add oxtail pieces in batches when the oil is hot, cook until browned on both sides for 4-5 minutes, (don't overcrowd)
3.Remove meat from pan & set aside.
4. Remove any excess oil from pan, return to stove top over medium heat.
5. Deglaze pan with 1c red wine, reduce by half scraping up any bits.
6. Add the chicken stock and the oxtail’s, bring to a boil then lower heat to a gentle simmer covered for 3- 3 1/2 hours, until tender and the meat is falling off the bone.
7. Remove the oxtails from the broth, place on a plate until cool enough to handle, separate the meat from the bones, cut into bite size pieces. (Discard the bones, refrigerate the meat and broth until later).
A FEW HOURS LATER (WHEN FAT FORMS ON TOP):
1. De-fatten: scrape off the fat and discard. .
2.. Melt butter over medium heat in a medium pot.
3. Add the root vegetables (carrots, celery, onions & turnips) season with salt and pepper, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
4. Add barley, bay leaf & the reserved broth. Bring to a boil, simmer over low heat until the barley has bloomed but is still tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in the oxtail meat, taste and season with salt & pepper if needed.
5. Make a slurry using the 4tbsp red wine and cornstarch, mix together to make a smooth paste. 6. Slowly pour into soup to thicken slightly for 2 minutes, ladle into bowls.
Enjoy and stay warm!