Mad Fox Exec Chef Andrew Dixon shared his steamed pudding recipe and a memory, "I would make steamed puddings with my mom every year during the holidays. When they were done we would package them and leave them on our friends porches with a card. Mom has kept the tradition going by making a dozen different flavors and inviting friends over for the solstice."
1 stick unsalted butter
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ cup A/P flour
2 ea large eggs
4 oz Reynard Black Saison
4 oz dried black mission figs
½ cup pecans, chopped
1 each orange, zest only
1 tea allspice
- Coat a 2-quart pudding mold with cooking spray.
- Soak the figs in the Black Saison for 2 hours, strain off and reserve the liquid, and chop the figs.
- Whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, lemon zest, and reserved Saison in a large bowl until smooth. Stir together chopped figs, pecans, flour, baking powder, baking soda, allspice and salt in a small bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the pudding mold and over tightly with foil. Set on a rack in a pot tall enough to hold the mold comfortably. Add hot water to come halfway up the sides of the mold. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover the pot and steam for 1 1/2 hours. (Add more water to maintain level, if necessary.)
- Remove the mold from the pot and let stand on a towel for 10 minutes. Unmold. Serve warm.