Celebrate National Soup Month with Chef Clay Miller's Mussel and Potato Soup. I recently checked out Wit and Wisdom and the entire meal was phenomenal. You are sure to enjoy this soup!
By: Chef Clay Miller of Wit and Wisdom, A Tavern by Michael Mina
1/2lbs Spanish Onion (sliced thin)
2ea Bay Leaf
2ea Granny Smith Apple (peeled and sliced thin)
2lbs of Idaho Potato (large dice)
128oz Mussel Stock (hot)
32oz Heavy Cream
Optional garnished: Bacon Powder, Pickled Habanero, Celery (diced), Fingerling Potato Rounds, Rendered Bacon Bits, Steamed Clams
*Recipe yields approx. 1 1/2 gallon
1. In a large pot melt butter over medium heat.
2. Once butter is melted add in onion and bay leaf, sweat onions for 15 minutes.
3. Add in apple and continue to sweat for an additional 10 minutes. Season with Salt.
4. Pour in mussel stock and add in potatoes and bring to a simmer. Simmer until potatoes are cooked, about 15 minutes.
5. Add in heavy cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Remove potatoes from liquid and puree back into broth according to desired thickness (you may have potato left over depending on desired thickness)
7. Salt to taste
8. Garnish to your liking