After our comforting business class flight on South African Airways, we were greeted by our friends in Johannesburg and headed to The Saxon. Previously a private home, The Saxon Hotel in Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa, opened its doors to the public in June 2000 and transformed into 24 luxury suites. It was so cool to know that Nelson Mandela wrote A Long Walk to Freedom while staying there in 1990. Here are my top 15 Reasons Why I LOVED The Saxon Hotel:
1. Beautiful grounds (6 acres of lush landscaped gardens) and design.
2. The most comfortable beds.
3. Friendly staff (anticipating any need before you even realize it.)
4. Delicious food (Check out Qunu Restaurant with Chef David Higgs).
5. Relaxing oasis.
6. Nice pools (one 9,902 sq. ft. and the other is a heated outdoor pool with underwater music)
7. Little touches that count (candles around the room, making us breakfast to-go, etc.)
8. Complimentary mini-bar with a selection of South African wines, drinks and snacks.
9. A bottle of South African bubbly upon arrival.
10. Small outdoor patio.
11. Perfect water pressure in the shower and large bath tub with salts.
12. High quality equipment in the fitness center.
13. Unique Africa art collection (over 200 original pieces of art).
14. More South African bubbly the second night.
15. 13,000 sq. ft spa to unwind after a long flight.
Even if you weren't planning on staying in Johannesburg The Saxon is the best place to begin your trip to relax a bit before heading to Sabi Sabi or even Cape Town. It always feels good to be treated like a king and queen for a night or two.