Amit Gulati from Spilled Milk Catering shared this wonderful Thanksgiving recipe! Only 3 days away!!
- 4 good-sized baking apples (Fuji and Granny Smith apples are good for baking)
- 1 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp. ginger powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 4 tbsp. whiskey or brandy
- Preheat oven to 375o F.
- Lightly coat a sheet of foil or baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread the pecan pieces over the sheet and toast until aromatic – about 3 or 4 minutes. Keep an eye on them as they can char very quickly.
- Mix the butter and brown sugar until you have a consistent mixture.
- Add in the pecans, blue cheese, ginger powder, and cinnamon and mix gently until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Slice off about an inch from the stem end of each apple. Keep the pieces that you cut off.
- Using a corer or paring knife, remove the core of each apple from the cut end. Cut out enough to make about a 2 tbsp. sized hollow, making sure not to go all the way through the apples.
- Spoon the brown sugar-pecan-cheese mixture into the apples.
- Place the apples in a baking dish.
- Mix the apple juice and whiskey (or brandy) in a bowl. Pour just a little bit into each apple, and the rest directly into the baking dish.
- Replace the tops of the apples.
- Bake the apples until tender – about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Baste the apples with the juices from the dish before serving.