I love stopping by the Farmers Market on 14th and U. The stands and have some fresh Rhubarb from a Pennsylvania farmers. My first time cooking rhubarb, I tried Everyday Food magazine's recipe for Rhubarb Crumb Bars. I liked it so much, that I though I'd share it.
Rhubarb Tips: You'll know the rhubarb is ripe when the stem is mostly red and shiny. Rhubarb is actually a vegetable, but when we cook with it we use it as a fruit. It is quite tart in flavor, so make sure to use sugar in the recipe that you use.
Rhubarb Crumb Bars from Everyday Food
FOR THE STREUSEL
* 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus room-temperature butter for pan
* 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
* 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
FOR THE CAKE
* 1/2 pound rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
* 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
* 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
* 1 cup confectioners' sugar
* 2 large eggs
* 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides. Butter and flour parchment and pan, tapping out excess flour.
2. Make streusel: Whisk together butter, brown sugar, and salt. Add flour and mix with a fork until large crumbs form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Make cake: In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup flour. In another medium bowl, whisk 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs, one at a time. With mixer on low, beat in vanilla, then flour mixture. Spread batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle with rhubarb and top with streusel.
4. Bake cake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely in pan. Using paper overhang, lift cake from pan. Cut into 16 bars.