Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Review: Buddha Bar DC

Photo by Emily Clack
Initial thoughts:

  • Design and Decor:  Dark lighting, Asian inspired and mysterious.  Really large space.
  • Wait:  Not long, but some confusion with the hostess about our reservation.
  • Food:  Excellent!
  • Drinks:  I loved the Sparkling Flowers Sake
  • Price:  Most entrees around $30
  • Service:  Servers were very friendly.  Hostesses, not so much.
  • Would I go back?  Yes. 


We began our meal with three amazing appetizers.  I loved the Spicy tuna tartar with avocado "s".  Beautiful presentation with the perfect balance of textures.  It kind of reminded me of the Toro Tartar at SEI.  The beef satay with Thai basil cream was tender and delicious.  Also, don't miss the crunchy rock shrimp tempura with spicy mayonnaise.

We moved onto sushi and tried the Mass Roll with shrimp and pot-sticker skin (my favorite) and the Buddha Bar Roll with salmon and rolled in cucumber.  The Buddha Bar roll is fun because it as not as heavy and filling as eating rolls with rice. We paired the rolls with Hana Awaka "Sparkling Flowers" sake which was refreshing with the most exhilarating balance of sweet and fruity. 

As if we weren't already stuffed, we plunged forward and tried the Roasted Black Cod with Miso and Yuzu Sauce (good flavors, but similar items are available in restaurants around town).  We also dove in to the curry shrimp with coconut Thai chili with a nice amount of spiciness. 
Photo by Emily Clack
My favorite was the Wagyu Tenderloin with Truffle Wasabi Butter.  So good and so tender!  We paired all of these dishes with a 2007 Orogeny Green Valley Pinot Noir from Sonoma.

At this point, yes, we were completely full, but you know me, and I always find room for dessert.  I made a little space and enjoyed the Chocolate and Sesame Bars with Coconut Sorbet.  It reminded me of an Asian Kit-Kat.  So Good!!

Overall, I can't say enough about the food.  Everything was spot on and impeccably presented.  I'll be back for more soon!

(202) 307-5555
Chinatown
455 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20001
www.buddhabardc.com


Buddha Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments: