Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thanksgiving Side: Mom’s Sweet Potato Casserole

Photo by Cindy Moore
You can’t help but pile on spoonful after spoonful of this delicious Sweet Potato Casserole.  It is almost a dessert.  The secret ingredient is the bananas.  They add some natural sweetness.  This year we're going back to Iowa to celebrate with my in-laws.

4-5 medium sweet potatoes
4 bananas
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
1 stick butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Put them in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes. Toss the bananas into the pan and continue roasting for 10 to 15 minutes, until both the bananas and potatoes are very soft. Remove the pan from the oven but don't turn the oven off. Scoop out potatoes and peel bananas and add them to mixing bowl with other ingredients and blend with electric mixer. Pour into 13x9 buttered casserole dish.

Topping:
1 Cup flour
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup pecans
1 stick of butter, softened
Mix the topping together and sprinkle on top of the sweet potatoes. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm.

* You could add cinnamon to the mixture too for added flavor.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Banannas? and honey?
This is so not the recipe Lauren's (and my) Aunt R. gave me. That must explain the often heard family argument of who had the recipe first Lauren's mom or our other aunt.
Maybe I'll try this one this year. I trust our best cook - Miss DeSantis - implicitly!
Loves!!

Capital Cooking said...

Yeah, I changed Mom's a bit and added the bananas and honey. I like it a little better. I still call it Mom's, but I guess I should call it My Version of Mom's Sweet Potato Casserole.