With this great weather, it is time to take advantage of some happy hours around town.
'Til 8 is Great: Lauren's Picks
I like a Happy Hour that I can actually make it to. If it doesn't run until at least 7:30 or 8 p.m., I usually can't get there until the end.
- $3 Appetizers and $2 Drinks: Zabb Modern Asian Bistro runs happy hour from Monday-Sunday from 3-8 p.m. You can't beat it!!
- Free Italian Treats and $5 Wine: Celebrating “happy hour” in true Venetian style, Casa Nonna hosts its Aperitivo Happy Hour every weekday from 5–8 p.m. where Washingtonians can munch on complimentary Italian treats and specialties while enjoying a specialty cocktail or quartino of wine at the bar. Casa Nonna’s Aperitivo features a daily-rotating selection of six Italian small plates prepared by Executive Chef Amy Brandwein, ranging from Arancini, Eggplant Caponata and Grilled Pork Sausage and Peppers. Casa Nonna also offers one of the best wine deals in the city with quartinos (approximately 1.5 glasses) of wine for $5, $5 select beers, and specially-priced “Just a Taste” 3 oz. pours of some their best wines.
- Pearl Dive Oyster Palace and Black Jack offer a seafood feast during happy hour. Pearl Dive’s happy hour runs from 4 PM to 7 PM, Monday through Friday, and Black Jack’s is available from 6 PM to 7 PM, Tuesday through Friday. At both locations customers can enjoy two for one local oysters; Shrimp Po'Boy with house-made pickles, cayenne aioli and Ledenheimer bread, as well as a pound of Addie's Mussels made with garlic, shallot, fumet, butter, lemon and served with grilled baguette. Prices range from $8 to $9. For the perfect pairing, guests can enjoy half-price draft beer, wines by the glass for $5, or Sobieski Vodka Martinis for $7.
- Brasserie Beck: Monday-Friday, 4-7PM in the bar only: half-priced select craft beers and $5 select wines
- BlackSalt Fish Market and Restaurant, located in the Palisades at 4883 MacArthur Blvd., 20007, offers fantastic seafood selections on their happy hour menu. Monday through Friday, 4 PM to 7 PM, and Saturday and Sunday, from 4 PM to 6 PM, guests can enjoy Provencal Seafood Stew with Blue Shell mussels, shrimp, saffron and market catch; Oysters Rockefeller with house- smoked bacon, Vermouth cream, spinach), as well as Maryland Blue Crab Cakes with Yukon gold potato puree, and basil pistachio pesto. Prices range from $6 to $12. An assortment of drink specials are also available including $5 draft beers, $5 Champagne cocktails, $6 wines by the glass and $8 cocktails. For further information, please call (202) 342-9101 or visit http://www.blacksaltrestaurant.com/market/.
- PS 7's Restaurant: Mondays 4pm-close, Tuesday-Friday 4-7pm; $3 draft beers, $5 Select Wines; Food: 1/2 price burgers every Monday night, and 1/2 price flatbreads every night during HH.
- Ardeo+Bardeo allows guests to enjoy $2 off select glasses of wine, and $1.50 off pints of Stella Artois during happy hour, Monday through Sunday from 5 PM to 7 PM. For the perfect pairing, a variety of savory snacks and vegetables are always available and priced between $4 and $7 each.
- Agora, located at 1527 17th Street, NW, 20036, offers authentic Turkish and Greek cuisine. Happy hour is available Monday through Friday, from 3 PM until 7 PM, while a late night happy hour is available Sunday through Thursday from 11 PM to closing. Guests can enjoy Bacardi and Stolichnaya drinks for $4 each along with Efes, Mythos and Peroni beers for $3. Flatbreads and Spreads will also be offered at a discounted price of $4 per order. For night owls, late night drink specials such as $4 Barcardi and Absolut cocktails, and $3 Peroni draft are available Sunday through Thursday from 11 PM until 2 AM.
- ZENTAN, located at 1155 14th Street, NW, 20005, is the perfect spot for after work cocktails and early evening socials. From 4 PM to 7 PM, Monday through Friday, guests can enjoy a limited selection of rail drinks, premium draft beers and house wine along with a selection of Asian-inspired small dishes for $5 each.
- Station 4 offers diners an abundance of options Monday through Friday, from 4 PM to 7 PM. Guests can enjoy a variety of discounted dishes ranging in price from $5-$9. Additionally, Station 4 offers $4 draft beers, $5 wines by the glass, $5 house liquors and $7 specialty cocktails such as the Singapore Sling or the Station 4 Cider.
- Legal Sea Foods offers “Six for Six” inviting guests to enjoy half a dozen oysters for just $6 exclusively during happy hour at the bar, Monday through Friday, from 4 PM to 7 PM. Patrons can also enjoy cans of PBR for $1.95, draft beer for $3.25 and Legal offers $2 off each of the “Raising the Bar Cocktails” as well as liquor drinks during happy hour.
If you've got one of those sweet jobs that lets you out early:
- BLT Steak offers a 5 @ 5 Happy Hour Monday through Friday from 5-6:30pm at the bar. Diners can enjoy a full menu of $5 small plates and $5 cocktails, beer and glasses of wine.
- The Source hosts a Happy Hour from 4-6 PM Monday - Fridays where they offer guests a choice of any three dishes off their extensive izakaya menu downstairs for $20.11.
- Fiola offers special Happy Hour promotions Monday - Friday from 4-6PM, where they offer a selection of beer for $4, cocktails between $5 and $6, and select wines by the glass, red, white and sparkling for $6.
- Passion Food Hospitality including DC Coast, Ceiba, Acadiana, District Commons, and PassionFish Happy Hour M-F from 4-6:30pm: All Specialty Cocktails, Draft Beers, and a Selection of Wines by the Glass for $5.
- Bar Dupont: Happy Hour M-F from 4-6pm [1/2 price on all Specialty Cocktails]
- Oyamel Cocina Mexicana, located at 401 7th Street, NW, 20004, is serving up flavorful libations during the “Hora Feliz” from 4 PM to 6 PM, Monday through Friday. Customers can choose from $4 beers, and $5 wine and cocktails and indulge in a selection of Antojitos (small plates) for $4.
- America Eats Tavern, located at 405 8th Street, NW, 20004, offers the Thomas Downing Oyster & Cocktail Hour, named after the owner of one of the most famous oyster houses in New York City. Thomas Downing served the city's affluent everything from raw oysters on the half shell to oyster pie from 1830-1860. In his honor, America Eats Tavern features $1 oyster and drink specials Monday through Friday, from 4 PM to 6 PM, and 9 PM until closing. Guests can choose from three sparkling wines ($8-$13 a glass) including Schramsberg Blancs de Blancs from Napa Valley, California and J. Vineyards Brut Rose from Russian River Valley, California or select from seven draft beers ($4 each), two house wines ($6 each) and a house-made punch for $8. For reservations or additional information please call (202) 393-0812 or visit www.americaeatstavern.com.
- Bibiana, located on the corner of 12th and H Streets, NW, 20005, is dishing up an Italian happy hour menu available exclusively at the 24-seat lounge and 12-seat bar. Six homemade pizzas prepared by Executive Chef Nicholas Stefanelli are available from 4 PM to 6 PM nightly for $10. For the perfect pairing, guests can enjoy a selection of Italian wines and cocktails for just $5. For more information, please call (202) 216-9550 or visit the website at www.bibianadc.com.
- Cuba Libre Restaurant Rum and Bar, located at 801 9th Street, NW Suite A, 20001, a Latin-inspired recipe for a fun-filled happy hour from 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM, Sunday through Friday, with Caippy Hour. Each of these specialty cocktails is priced at $5 during Caippy Hour. Additionally, glasses of house wine and bottles of Estrella Damm, a Spanish pilsener brewed in Barcelona since 1876, are also available for $4 to complement the $4 “small bites” menu.
Outside of DC:
- 3 has one of the most popular happy hours in Clarendon, offering up $3 Drafts and $5 Select Glasses of Wine every weekday from 4-8pm at their lively bar and lounge areas. Tuesday through Friday, hungry after-work goers can enjoy $6 Bar Bites like their Bacon Deviled Eggs with House Cured Bacon Bits, Grilled Cheese Bites with Bacon Tomato Dipping Sauce, Fried Pickles with Lemon-Cayenne Remoulade and of course, their signature House Smoked Pulled Pork Sliders with BBQ Sauce.
- Assaggi Mozzarella Bar, located at 4838 Bethesda Avenue, 20814, offers a happy hour of authentic Italian cuisine in the elegantly rustic restaurant. Monday through Friday from 4 PM to 7 PM, guests can enjoy a variety of dishes for just $4 each. Additionally, Assaggi offers $3 beers, half-price wines by the glass, $5 house-brand cocktails and $6 house-brand martinis.
- Jaleo’s lively bar scene can be enjoyed exclusively at the Bethesda location, which features “Jaleo Hour” from 4:30 PM to 7 PM, Sunday through Friday, and 10 PM to Midnight on Saturday. To quench the thirst, Jaleo’s famous red wine sangria, along with wine and draft beer are all available for $4 each.
- Black’s Bar and Kitchen offers a seafood-focused happy hour menu in the 65-seat bar/lounge and 48-seat patio (weather permitting), Monday through Friday, from 4 PM to 7 PM. Guests can indulge in two Chesapeake Bay Oysters for the price of one at an affordable $1.99. For the perfect pairing, Black’s Bar & Kitchen offers $6 martinis, $3.75 draft beers and $5 wines by the glass.
- Mussel Bar: Monday-Friday, 4:30-6:30pm, in the bar only; $5.50 DRAFTS: Antigoon, Wittekerke, Bavik and BOTTLED: Stella Artois $2.75. Cabernet, Rose or Pinot Grigio $5.50, House Cocktails $5.50, House Martinis $7, Simple Canned Beer $1.75, all Tarts for $10, Half Portion Mussels with Toasted Baguette $9, Grilled Calamari with Chorizo $5, Baltimore Crab Dip $11, Coconut Shrimp $2 each, Steamed Shrimp 1/2 lb. $9
- The recently revamped 2941 Restaurant in Falls Church has a really special happy hour with extended times. They offer specials Monday - Friday from 4 - 6PM and they even have Happy Hour on Saturday from 5 - 7 PM. Guests can enjoy drink specials such as $4 beers on tap, $5 rail drinks and select wines by the glass for $5. They also serve complimentary truffle popcorn at their bar.
- Mad Fox Brewing Company in Falls Church, VA offers a Happy Hour from 3-7 daily; regular size brew (instead of the samplers) are regularly $5.75. During Happy Hour, they are $3.75.
Photo by Kristen Finn