Georgetown’s “Social” Safeway celebrates its grand opening preceded the night before by a gala celebration. Some salient facts about this grocery store for the 21st Century:
- This will be Safeway’s 16th store in DC - and the third since September 2008
- It will operate 24 hours a day AND have a 24 hour pharmacy
- Doors open to the public at 8 am on Thursday, May 6
- The 71,067-square-foot Georgetown store has been designed and built to be, when approved, the first LEED-certified grocery store in the District, and Safeway’s second LEED-certified store (the other is in Santa Cruz, Calif.).
- Features include a sit-down sushi bar, an Italian-style gelato bar; pizza oven, an open-flame hearth oven where European style Artisan breads will be baked fresh daily, and much more.
- The expanded produce section, which will feature the city’s largest selection of fresh organic produce, will also include a nut bar offering a wide selection of warm, ready-to-eat nuts that can be flavored or ground on site to create spreads and butters.
- An upgraded Starbucks coffee bar will serve until midnight.
- An indoor/outdoor seating area will feature a fireplace, HD televisions, complimentary WiFi, and open balcony overlooking Wisconsin Avenue.
- The store will offer ongoing events, such as cooking demos by area chefs, and regular wine & cheese tastings every Thursday. The store’s wine and beer selection will be the largest of any retailer in the District.
The produce section is phenomenal. This grocery store would be perfect to check out especially if you're having a party. You can be sure that they'll have everything that you need.
The Georgetown Safeway1855 Wisconsin Avenue, NW