Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Spotlight: Claudia of Brunch and the City

Tell us about your blog.

Brunch and the city is, well, about brunch and my favorite things around DC.  I love brunch and felt like there was a lack of coverage of the brunch scene in DC.  I also share recipes, other tidbits about breakfast food, and the occasional recap of my travels or experiences around DC.


How did you get into blogging?

I started brunch and the city when I was working at a small social media PR firm – my boss was encouraging a bunch of us to blog as a way to understand the industry.  I wanted to write about something that I wouldn’t get tired of writing about, and my love of breakfast food seemed like the perfect fit.  Two and a half years later I’m still finding great new places to review! 

Favorite ingredient?

Bacon, cheese, or chocolate.  Whenever a dish is lacking, one of those three ingredients inevitably makes it perfect.

How would you describe DC Cuisine?

Underrated.  There are so many amazing restaurants in DC that are forgotten as the hyped-up places get all of the attention.  Then again, if my favorite hole in the wall places got the attention, I guess I could never get a table, so maybe underrated it a good thing…


What is your favorite blog post and why?

I think I’d have to go with my bottomless drink guide – bottomless mimosas are all anyone really wants to know about when it comes to brunch, so it was one of the more fun lists to put together.


How long have you lived in DC and how did you end up here?

I’m actually from DC originally.  I grew up on the northeast side of Capitol Hill and escaped to New York for college where I planned to stay post-graduation, but a bad job market forced me to move back to DC.  It didn’t take long for me to realize how much DC had to offer and I’m not glad things worked out this way.  I love New York and visit my friends there as often as I can, but I enjoy coming home to a quieter city where I can have a home with a yard.


Who are your culinary inspirations?

My mom and sister – both are so comfortable in the kitchen and can take make a delicious meal out of whatever they find in the fridge.  I get overwhelmed and intimidated whenever I stray from the few recipes I know well.  I guess that’s why I like breakfast food so much – pancakes and eggs are so quick and easy.


What is your favorite local restaurant and why?

In my neighborhood (Capitol Hill), it’s easily Montmartre.  The food is wonderful, it has such a comfortable feel, and we’ve gotten to know the staff well so we always get great service.

Do you have a favorite cookbook?

How to Cook Everything – I’m not very good in the kitchen so I need a cookbook that makes things simple.  My other favorite is Gale Gand’s Brunch!  Every picture and recipe leaves my mouth watering and gives me the inspiration to try cooking new dishes.  Her recipes are pretty simple but look very extravagant, so they are perfect for impressing guests.

What are your most exciting challenges right now?

Balancing a full time job, a social life, and two blogs – this one and thehillishome.com.  I love everything that has been filling my days but it can be hard to balance my time.

Any recipes to share?

One of my favorite recipes is baked French toast with blueberry compote.  It’s so simple and takes so little time, so it’s perfect to make for a party because it will allow you to walk away from the stove and spend time with your guests.  http://brunchandthecity.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/brunch-recipe-experiment-baked-french-toast-with-blueberry-compote/

Anything else you’d like to share with the viewers?

It's hard to keep track of who is serving new brunches, so I always appreciate tips!

No comments: