Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Matchbox Introduces New Brunch Items

By:  Lauren Rittermann

Matchbox restaurant in Rockville just added 4 brand new delicious items to their brunch menu.  And if you didn't know already, Matchbox in Rockville serves brunch every Saturday and Sunday, as well as holidays.  On Sundays they offer jazz brunch and you can enjoy your meal while listening to live jazz music.

The look and feel of Matchbox Rockville is very different than the other locations.  Its big, open, and very modern.  I've always been a big fan of Matchbox so I was excited to check out the new brunch items.

The staff at Matchbox could not have been more welcoming, personable, and helpful.  

I started with one of their signature Bloody Mary cocktails, and because I like them very spicy, my server recommended the Fire bloody mary which is made with Matchbox bloody mary mix,  Absolute pepper vodka,  a dill pickle, and a Sriracha rim.  Matchbox offers six different Bloody Mary cocktails and various Champagne cocktails.  

Each of the 11 brunch menu items looked delicious.  We started with the BLT Eggs Benedict.   This was a spin on your traditional Eggs Benedict and included maple glazed pork belly and a fried green tomato.  This was a really nice dish, but I would have preferred the eggs soft boiled and a little more runny.  Other than that I really enjoyed the flavors and found myself loving the sweetness of the pork belly with the eggs. 

Next was the house cured gravlox and eggs with herb cream cheese and flatbread.  Matchbox cures the salmon in house in salt, pepper, dill, brown sugar, and brandy.  It was not too fishy or too smoky and had an excellent flavor.  I loved that it came with all the traditional accompaniments, and I really enjoyed the salmon with the herbed cream cheese and a little of the salad that was dressed with a sweeter vinaigrette.  It was very refreshing and satisfying at the same time.

The dishes kept getting better and better and definitely took my taste buds on a journey.  The next dish was New Orleans french toast made with a french baguette, drizzled with a caramel rum syrup, and topped with candied pecans and fresh strawberries.  It was a little crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.  I loved the caramel rum sauce.  The dish wasn't too sweet and the combination of ingredients was perfect.

Last but not least was the peanut butter banana waffles with bacon.  This was a really unique dish, and although I wasn't sure about the combination at first, I found myself not being able to put the fork down. The waffles were fluffy yet dense, and they were filled with creamy peanut butter, sliced bananas, and crispy bacon, and then drizzled with maple syrup fr a touch of sweetness.  This is a great item for kids or adults.
Each of the 4 new brunch items were really interesting, fun to eat, and delicious.  I can not speak highly enough of Matchbox Rockville, the staff, and their always great food and drinks.  This was definitely a great place to go for brunch with friends and family.  It was such a relaxing and pleasant experience.

Matchbox Rockville on Urbanspoon

No comments: