Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Spotlight: Meet Kristen Finn

Kristen Finn is a photographer based out of DC/VA and is available to shoot worldwide. She has a graphic style with a natural, architectural feel. Kristen’s passion for food, design, the environment, people and their spaces, has transferred into her photography. She’s a sucker for a good story and a mean cup of coffee. 

 
How did you get into photography?   

I have a BA in Graphic Design from Flagler College in St. Augustine, FL. During the course of my studies there I took a few photography/darkroom classes which peaked my interest in that particular medium. Once I graduated and spent a few years in the design world I decided to pursue my love of photography and enrolled in Boston University's Center for Digital Arts (CDIA) here in Washington DC. The entire year was full immersion into this fabulous medium of digital arts. I completed my enrollment with an assignment for Agora Partnerships in Nicaragua and since then I’ve been hooked. I shoot mainly digitally but manage to pull out my film cameras often.
 
Favorite food photo you’ve taken?
 
Oh man, this is a tough one... I love a beautifully plated shot but I think I’m going to have to go with one of the wide angle shots from a small, on-farm chicken processing! It was just so different and interesting to be that up close and personal with food/food culture. The farmers and the folks helping out were all young and excited about what they were doing. It was a gritty and inspiring day.
 
What inspires you?
 
Life. Travels. People. Good light. Design. The story.
 
What is your favorite local restaurant and why?
 
Dang. Another tough one... I’m going to go with Two Amy’s Pizza. Those that know me, know I’m slightly obsessed. I love the casual, open feeling of the restaurant and the Margherita pizza will never get old. Affordable, high quality food done well -- sign me up!

What are your most exciting challenges right now?
 
Getting my business going. Knowing that whatever it is I want to do with photography is up to me and my own motivation -- that’s pretty scary and super exciting!

Where's the best place you've traveled to and why?
 
One of my top favorites was Nicaragua. The people there were so lovely. I’d love to go back, stay longer and get more involved. There are so many amazing places and people doing great things all over the world and even right in our back yards. I’m grateful for everywhere I’ve been and look forward to new travels.

Any upcoming trips?
 
Well, I’ve been in the developing stage of two new projects that I’m pretty stoked to keep moving forward on. One will be a return visit to Marseille, France. Such a vibrant city with so many different influences and the food scene is pretty unreal.  
 
Anything else you’d like to share with the viewers?
 
Thank you Capital Cooking for having me on your blog and thank you to the readers! If you’d like to keep in touch, please come find me on twitter @kristenfinn!

No comments: